Kal City Centre set to inspire
The Kal City Centre Place Plan will be launched on Wednesday 1 August 5:30pm at the Market Arcade, Hannan Street Kalgoorlie. All members of the community are encouraged to have their say.
The draft Place Plan considers the City Centre’s current performance and future potential with a focus on investment, experience and image. It has been developed in direct response to ideas raised through extensive community engagement undertaken throughout April 2018, and examined the following questions.
- How will it be used, by who and when?
- What key destinations, facilities and amenities are required?
- How is it positioned to attract visitors and investment?
- How could it be programmed and managed to ensure the ultimate experience delivers on the plan?
- How the precinct could be improved in the short term, whilst planning for long term project delivery?
- What people and partnerships are required for successful ongoing place management and long term viability?
City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder CEO John Walker said, “The findings from community consultation enables the City to focus on several key areas to reinvigorate opportunities for retail, hospitality, youth, tourism, arts and collaboration with community. The designs will provide a visual point of discussion for how we proceed and inspire rediscovery.”
“Transforming the Kal City Centre into a much-loved location and visitor destination, requires an approach that unites physical planning and design, with longer term destination development drivers. Stage 1 of the community consultation for the project is complete. The community’s response and enthusiasm around this project has been inspiring.”
The launch of the Place Plan will connect the Market Arcade’s functionality by presenting an experience that will enable participants to visualise the City Centre’s functionality. Stalls of mulled wine and warm apple cider, chargrilled corn and soup along with the sale of fresh produce will be available.